2 Pre-Conference Workshops: 31st October 2018
10:00 - 12:30 —The Role of Online Tutorials in a Flipped Classroom Approach to Learning
Presented by Iain Lambie & Robert Law, Glasgow Caledonian University and the Open University, UK
The workshop will explore what the flipped classroom has to offer for a distance learning student and we will discuss the role of the student in this style of learning. We will then look at the practical activities that can be delivered when providing online tutorials with Adobe Connect. The workshop will focus on the practical activities which are involved in moving tutorials from the face to face world into the online world. People attending the Workshop should bring along an example of a Face to face learning activity such as a Tutorial which they would like to move into the online world. The workshop activities would then concentrate on investigating how to utilise an online tool such as Adobe Connect to facilitate this. At the end of the workshop the attendee would hopefully have an outline of an online activity for use in their teaching.
- Understand the need to reappraise the manner in which material is produced for online activities.
- Be aware of the need to think through the interactions between Tutor and Student/Student and Student.
- Gain a basic understanding of Adobe Connect software and how to use it for online tutorials
- Produce a basic/simple online activity within their subject area.
Who is this workshop aimed at?
Anyone with a need to run online activities for students studying at a distance.
PLEASE NOTE: PARTICIPANTS WILL NEED TO BRING A LAPTOP OR TABLET TO USE AT THIS WORKSHOP
You will also need to have a subscription to adobe connect. You can start a free trial of the software for use at the workshop. You can do this just before the date.
14:00-16:30 - Training the Social Learning Trainer
Presented by Dr Vitor Santos, NOVA IMS, New University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Effectively develop the contents of the different thematic areas and a training program for s-learning format;
- Prepare training sessions according to the characteristics of s-learning;
- Conduct training sessions in s-learning;
- Evaluate learning outcomes by planning and producing assessment tools